Thursday, April 16, 2009

The End: Of Laughter, Soft Lies, and Facebook

I owe myself and everyone else a more thorough explanation of why I am leaving Facebook. This blog is useful to me because I really express myself much better in text than I do verbally. Writing my thoughts and ideas make them gel; their essence is revealed to me and conveyed more fully to others. I can't really explain it, but reading and writing is more cognitively stimulating than the hoots and hollers we call spoken language.

I waste a lot of time on Facebook. Just puttering around on my laptop seeing what people are e-up-to. Any more I don't do quizzes or apps or any of that bullshit. Still, Facebook always seems to beckon me when I could be doing something else.

Speaking of apps, quizzes, zombies, top fives, etc., etc., -- what the fuck? I don't really mean to insult people who do these things, and its an elitist thing to say, but: come on, read a book. Read the newspaper: its online now too. Hey, read my blog! But the main thing is that Facebook is constantly telling me when people do these things, and emailing me about it sometimes. This is not what I signed up for in 2005. It annoys me, and is inconsistent with the mission of Facebook as I conceive it: connecting people with one another.

Now then, does Facebook still connect me to others? Does it connect others to me? I have to say yes, but I question the nature of these connections. I have never been myself on Facebook. I have been versions of myself: the funny me, the clever me, the intellectual me, the aloof me, the drunk me, the flirty me, the asshole me, the elitist me. On Facebook I exist in bits and bytes, a cyber portrait, Rembrandt-like, masterful, but too deliberately crafted to be real. I can't help putting thought into wall posts and photo comments; how droll, I think. I can only assume that others treat Facebook the same way. Its hard not too. I want real connections. If I want to tell you something or share something with you, I can text you, email you, or place an old-fashioned phone call. A personal connection between me and you, for your eyes, for your ears, for your consideration, only. A little window on myself, opened for you; a light pointed in your direction.

Also, Facebook has made me quite a hypocrite. I am not friends with all of these people. I have many friends to be sure. I also have friendly acquaintances, plain acquaintances, former acquaintances, people I met once, girls I might like to sleep with, a few girls I have slept with, etc. Also true and close friends. All these filed away as "friends" on Facebook. But a Facebook friend is not really a friend in the flesh. To many of my Facebook friends I am merely a well-wisher, in that I don't wish them any specific harm. Let's face it: it's a big ol' world out there, and we are going to meet a lot of people. We cannot all be tight. My close friends are close to my heart, sincerely, and they deserve more than to be lumped in with the 200+ other people I know on Facebook.

Maybe I have become curmudgeonly at the quarter-century mark, but I see Facebook becoming a monster. I used to say "Let's keep Facebook on Facebook," but now talk of Facebook is becoming widely diffused in more diverse social interactions. Facebook is beginning to change the nature of social interaction, or rather it is corralling the inherent power of the internet in a powerful way. If you and I are together, talking, I do not want to talk about what is happening on Facebook. That is what Facebook is for. The distinction is now all too blurry. I still believe that one-on-one, personal communication is the way to go; Facebook has never been that and I see it becoming the primary manner of casual discourse.

I could ramble on for a while. I just don't want it any more. It is striking to think that I won't have any means of contacting a lot of people who are my Facebook "friends," but really the odds of me ever wanting or needing to are slim. Conversely, a text message, email, or phone call from my former Facebook friends will be more meaningful in impulse and substance with Facebook out of the picture.

2 comments:

  1. So I went to the deactivate link on Facebook and as I was pondering clicking the "Deactivate my Account" button I noticed a small disclaimer. It states that my friends invite me to groups, tag me in photos, and invite me to events... what the fuck! Now people will think I'm still a member of the Facebook community and get pissed off because I never respond to their invitations. Not to mention I'll still be tagged in photos, that's one of the main reasons for deactivating. This is crap, complete crap. I am prepared to follow you to the depths of the online social Abyss, the land (sea) beyond Facebook. Where we all "Knew this was a one way ticket..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is, "my friends" can STILL invite me to groups, etc. Woops. Anyway, my argument still stands and I think it was clear enough. Do you even read these comments?

    ReplyDelete