Saturday, February 7, 2009

Take The Power Back

I recently attended a lecture my John Perkins. He has written two books about his experiences working for as an economist for a consulting firm in the 70s and 80s. His books, notable "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" reveal how corporations in conjunction with the World Bank and the IMF keep the world poor and third-world countries subservient to the developed world. Mr. Perkins now tours the world speaking about his experiences and urging people to act to change the injustices in the world that are carried out by the rich against the poor.

"Confessions" was a watershed work for me as an aspiring historian, and, along with Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" have been the main influences in framing what I want to study in history. For this reason I was greatly looking forward to seeing Perkins. But his talk spoke to me personally. He urged everyone to fight what he calls the "corporatocracy" (corporations, governments, and international monetary institutions) by buying only products and services produced by responsible corporations who do not exploit workers. He also encouraged everyone to follow their dreams and use their talents as a means of fighting back.

I have always felt that my life is kind of pointless and self-indulgent if I do nothing to leave my mark. Recently that thought has evolved from merely seeking notoriety towards making a tangible impression in the world I leave behind when I die. I know how empowering history, and reading Perkins and Zinn has exposed the many injustices, both bold and underlying, that have marked the course of history. I want to continue that work, both exposing these injustices and empowering people to improve their own lives and the lives of everyone. And I heard this directly from Perkins. Use your talents, fight back. I have talents, and I waste them if I do not use them for the greater good.

I would encourage anyone to read "Confessions" and "A People's History." They detail things which may just be vague notions to many about the origins of the world we live in, and why the poor remain poor. I wish there was more I could do now, but if I work now to improve my own life, I will some day be in a position to open the eyes of many, as Zinn and Perkins have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment