Thursday, January 22, 2009

Truth

I named my blog "Truth Reason And Justice" because I decided several years ago that those were the three tennets that I would like to see be the guiding impulses for humanity, and which I strive to utilize in my own life. At least that is my aspiration. I will do a post for each of them, starting with Truth.

The Truth is hard to tie down. I think it is important to make the distinction between fact and truth. While the Truth may consist of a convergence of fact, it is also true that facts often obscure larger truths. Indeed I believe that they are often used to that end.

Truth is personal, and not always a universal realization. Deeply embedded truth can be countered, but, being tied so closely to affect, these firm truths are irrefutable. Truth exists deep in the psyche and deep in our collective memories.

Truth also has a tangible component. It is what looms behind our prejudices and misconceptions. It is sometimes lost in the shuffle of over-complicated lifestyles. It is the course that is often difficult to take.

All of this is pretty obfuscated and vague, but hopefully there is some, well, truth to be gleaned from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment